On Yankees, Dickau, and Virgins
Things I was thinking as I yelped "woo-hoo" as Reed Johnson put Mariano on the ropes...
* I have yet to pass through the college basketball tomes, but I'd like to see someone defend Bob Huggins in this latest mess. Not because I defend him, but I'd like to see someone try to reason it. To me, when the sobriety video and report of Huggy having barfed in the passenger seat of his car when he got Dewey'ed, well, I know I'd have a hard time holding onto my job. Spare me the graduation rate stuff because that's not what this is about. Fourteen straight years, Cincy has made the dance. In 10 of those 14, the Bearcats have headed home before the Sweet 16.
Early odds for the full-time replacement: Fran Fraschilla 3:1, Brian Gregory 7:1; Bobby Gonzalez 9:1, Tim O'Shea 15:1; Steve Lavin 20:1; Dave Bliss rot in hell:1
* File this one under "things I yelped when Hideki Matsui tied the game in the bottom of the 9th." Matsui is the one Yankee I don't want to see at the plate when it's crunch time. A-Rod is one that I do.
* Tonight's Red Sox (check!) game on MLB Extra Innings has the Kansas City announcers. Not too bad. Not bad at all. They talk about the game, not themselves, and they don't make outrageous claims like they invented the question mark, "that pitch was a cutter, Jon," or "it is high...it is far...it...is...gone." It also reminds me that I need to make it to Kaufman Stadium at some point soon and get my Buddy Biancalana throwback.
Kansas City is one of my favorite smaller American cities. Nice people, cold beer, un-be-freakin-lievable barbeque ribs. Best wings on Earth, too, at a place called the Peanut.
* So, wait, the Celtics have Dan Dickau and Ryan Gomes? Ok, count me on the C's bandwagon now.
* Don't you get the feeling that you'd have to be high to admit, on TV, that you smoked pot? Randy? Hmmm?
* Felix Escalona just earned his pinstripes. The greatest Felix to ever win a game for the Yankees. And A-Rod was the first to go out there to congratulate him and try to brush his throwing hand over Felix' crotch. Creep.
* These Lee Iacocca/Chrysler ads make me think three words: Weekend at Bernie's
* Heading to Miller Park on Thursday. Looking forward to seeing my Brew Crew; just 6.5 out of the NL Wild Card.
* 40 Year Old Virgin is well worth it. Despite having the same writer/director and actors, it's not like Anchorman. Steve Carell would make me laugh reading the phonebook and he did a pretty good - great at times, but overall pretty good - job of being a leading man in Virgin. The supporting cast, featuring Paul Rudd (Brian Fantana in Anchorman), Romany Malco and Seth Rogan was key. Director Judd Apatow, once again, made the "group of zany friends" work.
My only complaint wasn't with the film, it was with the cackling hyena who sat a few seats away from me. Imagine Rosie Perez with Thomas Hulce's laugh in "Amadeus." And she laughed at EVERYTHING. Kill me.
That's it for tonight. Holla at your boy. A ella le gusta la gasolina (dame mas gasolina!).