A Few Friday Night Rhetorical Questions
(rhetorical questions in boldface
1. Is there a better album to chill out to than The Harder They Come OST?
I mean, "Many Rivers to Cross," "Pressure Drop," and obviously the title track...
2. Watching the Mariners/Red Sox game. Ichiro pokes a single through a hole at short and gets to first. Like most folks, he starts up a conversation with the first baseman. In this case, it's Big Papi (David Ortiz). What on Earth could they be talking about?Here's a guess:Papi: "Hey Ichiro, que pasa?"Ichiro: "I wish these hoes would just back the shampoo up off me."
3. From ages 19-21 in college, a Friday night would consist of drinking some booze and watching Animal House. Since graduating, every so often, I revisit that tradition. Including tonight. Is that: a. keeping it real --or-- b. proof positive that I need a life?
4. Kelly Clarkson's playing in Chicago tomorrow night. Would it be weird if I went?
Wearing just a trenchcoat. (ok, ixnay on the renchcoattray...seriously, I don't need Carl Monday on my trail.)(Besides, Carrie Underwood is the Best. Idol. Ever. My ex-sorta-steady Boston girl Steph looks just like her. And that snowboarder chick Lindsay Jacobellis.)
5. Last year, the "knock"on Big Papi (David Ortiz, if you live under a rock) in the American League MVP race was that he didn't"play defense." That's why folks (wrongly) picked Alex Rodriguez for the award.
This season, A-Rod leads the AL in errors at his position, while Papi continues to make plays at HIS POSITION - designated hitter. (guess what George King, Joel Sherman, John Harper, Jon Shampooing Heyman and the rest of you pious NY baseball writers, that's a position in the American League). Papi also leads in a category or two - home runs and RBI - while also consistently coming up with in the clutch with "the big hit" while the defensive player does his best to throw the ball away in similarly clutch situations.So what is more valuable: a good hitter & shitty fielder (A-Rod) or a great hitter & adequate fielder when he is forced out of his POSITION (10 in your scorecard)?
6. Is there a song that better typifies what is going on in my head right now more than Jimmy Cliff's "Sitting In Limbo?"
(you can't possibly be expected to answer that one)
7. I like white wine sometimes. (What's that? That's not a question? Oh well, so very sorry. If you don't like it, get your own damned blog...ok?)
Ok, that's about for now. Until I think of other stuff.
Have a great weekend. Avoid the rain. And the clap.