Let me see you bounce right to left and let your shoulder lean...
Some thoughts before I go to bed...
- In November, today's Patriots game will merely be a "W." There were not many bright spots. One thing you like to see is a rookie running back making some good runs against a very good defense. Laurence Maroney was terrific.
And while the Pats' D...overall... stunk...the second half was much closer to Belichick football than the first 30:00 of play. The stop on 4th down, as well as the strong plays and the many three-and-outs...those were midseason stops.
The Don Davis tackle on Willis McGahee on that 4th down play was similar to a Willie McGinest stop, circa '04 vs. the Colts.
The Tully Banta-Cain flying parrey that caused the safety? That was also a big play, huge for a young player getting his first real taste at the first line on the depth chart.
The Pats' D can only build on that, especially when Tedy Bruschi returns to the ILB. As for the offense, they'll have their ups and downs. But the D will take this team as far as it's going to go.
- So far, if you're charting the Belichick coaching tree genius line, it goes Mangini, then Crennel, then Saban. Charlie Weis is doing OK now, too.
- Here's a SAT-style sports analogy. Chime in on the comments or send an email
if you think you know the answer:Peyton Manning: football as X: baseball.
By the way, it's week one and I'm already very sick of the Manning family. Except for Cooper Manning. I feel for him. Lumbar stenosis is not fun.
- Is Paul Weller one of the most underrated songwriters of our day? Methinks yes.
- Papi hit #48 today. Three more till he gets 51, and passes Double-X for the Red Sox single-season record. Amazingly, in the era of the juiced ball and ballplayer, the Sox' season HR record has only been 50...and it has stood since 1938. The same year that a Hurricane destroyed the City of Providence...that's been a long time. So if there's a bright spot left in the season, let it be Papi.
- My man Spoon won a Mercedes today. Well, he won a share of it. He and three other guys won it as part of a radio contest. They're gonna sell it and split it four ways. So if anyone wants a good deal on a brand-spanking new Benz SUV, email me here and I'll get you in touch with the boys. They'll give you a fair price.
- Here is an assortment of text messages, both sent and received, during this weekend. The supermajority of them came during this afternoon Pats game:"If we lose this game, we're going to have to have (name removed) shampoo (another name removed)'s girlfriend again""Matt Light: F.""I heart Larry M
(that's Laurence Maroney to you and me)""Are you ready for some football?""Yeah, I just remembered...I DON'T want to see your balls.""I like Larry Maroney""About. SHAMPOOING. Time.""Peyton and Eli Manning are related?""Can Diet Pepsi machine play on our O-Line?""Memo to O-Line: Stop Sucking. K bye.""Steve Neal: reconsider WWE.""Deion's agent to Pioli: Shampoo you, pay me.""I heart Tom Brady."
(that might have been me who sent that one)"U R gay.""You know how I know you're gay - you macramed yourself a pair of jean shorts.""The first test - going to a bar with wings and football and ordering a diet coke."
Ok, that's about it for now.
I know you all know that tomorrow is the five-year anniversary of 9-11. Doesn't seem like five years ago. Seems more like five minutes ago.
Do me, yourselves, and your family, friends, and loved ones a favor tomorrow. Call them. Send them an email or a text message. Stop by, if you're close to them, even if it's just for a few minutes. Give them a hug. Tell a funny story to make you smile. Shed a tear.
Tell them you love them. Let them know you do. Let them know that you don't and won't take that for granted.
For if blind, fanatical hatred is what fuels those who wage wars of terror, then let love be the force that conquers it.Amor vincit omnia.