Day Two, vol. 2
3:56 p.m. --
I just woke up from a quick 30 minute turkey-style nap. Except, it's not Thanksgiving...it's St. Patrick's Day eve.
And I didn't enjoy a healthy helping of bird. It was clamcakes and chowder from Chopmist Charlie's.
So we saw a talented and athletic UNLV team put it together against a talented and athletic Georgia Tech team. Lon Kruger's son Kevin had an outstanding game - it was the first time I had seen him play and was impressed.
Memphis also put it together down the stretch against a gritty and resilient Mean Green team from North Texas. You gotta love seeing the long-shot lower seeds play their respective asses off and give their double-digit favorite opponent a 35 minutes scare. A huge part of North Texas' success was their ability to rebound, especially on long-misses from three-point land.
Onto the second games of the day:
* Winthrop smacking a very overrated Notre Dame team. Question: who did ND beat in Big East play? Answer: nobody. Besides, Winthrop is a team with plenty of tourney experience.
* Wisconsin getting smacked by Texas A&M Corpus Christi. So far, a bad tourney for teams from the Dairy State; good for teams from the Texas Agricultural & Mining system.
* Tennessee making sure they don't have a first round nailbiter like they had last year vs. Winthrop; sending The Beach back to the LBC...
Apropos of nada:
* I'm not an Entourage fan, so the DirectTV ad means nothing to me. But yesterday, uberagent Ari Gold spoke of floor seats to the Lakers/Wizards. Now, it skips over the part about the NBA franchises and lets the fat dude talk more. Methinks this is something from the good folks at the NCAA. Heaven forbid anything mentions anything professional in their tournament. From covering up signs and scoreboards in the arenas, to not allowing players to wear any sort of team gear, the association has the lock-down on the league.
* The folks make a good point about tomorrow's Georgetown/Boston College game. It's not Jesuit vs. Jesuit. It's Big East vs. ACC. And that's bigger than religious affiliation.
* Kaleigh the Irish Setter is putting on an early St. Patrick's Day parade, trotting about the living room with her favorite toy: a stuffed hot dog.
Notre Dame (French for "our bitch") making a run...more later...