What's Really Good
Red Sox Nation is not some coined, trite phrase - actually, these days, it is. It's not a membership card. It's not Jerry Remy as President.
It's what you've seen at Yankee Stadium the last few years, with the numbers of red shirts and forked B hats increasing. It's the sheer numbers you see at every other American League ballpark, especially Toronto, Baltimore and Tampa.
It's the nod of acknowledgement you got in airports or major American thoroughfares, from 2001-2004 - which has just exploded to seemingly every nook and cranny of this big, giant English Muffin of a country of ours. Even around the world, you'd really have to try hard NOT to look if you didn't want to see a Sox cap.
This isn't to slam some of the Johnny Damon-come-latelys, as others do on occasion. I don't bemoan the pink Red Sox hat-wearing female populus. In fact, I think they're adorable.
(now what's wrong with this
Put aside all the schlock that the new owners pitch to us, ad nauseum, on NESN and realize that the real Red Sox nation exists in all the emails, IM's, and texts sent all day prior to, during, and shortly after the game(s).
Take, for instance, last night. Had tickets and turned them down (my assistant didn't, but that's a whole other story).
Watched the game on the couch, with texts pouring in from everywhere from the bleachers, different timezones, and different countries.
The texts even tell the story, maybe not like Gordon Edes or Jackie Mack, but you can probably tell how things are going.
Here's the transcript from my cell:Sent (6:46 p.m.)
- Got an extra for Friday. Any interest?Received (6:50 p.m.)
- Was going to call. Can't make it. Meet before?Received (7:19 p.m.)
- Lugo - safe or out?Sent (7:20 p.m.)
- Very safeSent (7:38 p.m.)
- I heart small ballReceived (7:40 p.m.)
- I love Manny making heads up playsSent (7:41 p.m.)
- I heart small ball and big ball in the same inningReceived (7:46 p.m.)
- Without Matthews, LA lineup isn't goodReceived (8:04 p.m.)
- Filthy absolutely filthyReceived (8:14 p.m.)
- Doug heading out to the pen nowSent (8:15 p.m.)
- Throw lawn dartsReceived (8:34 p.m.)
- This week I have turned down tickets to, in order, Bruce, the Sox tonight, the Sox on Friday, and the Pats on Sunday. I'm an a-hole.Sent (8:52 p.m.)
- I like high cheeseReceived (8:58 p.m.)
- Jose Mota is cute, eh?Sent (8:59 p.m.)
- I never thought I'd miss Tina CervasioReceived (9:06 p.m.)
- Hanley WHO?Received (9:06 p.m.)
- 2:28 time of gameReceived (9:07 p.m.)
- Ted Robinson and Steve Stone suckSent (9:09 p.m.)
- Magic number: 10
Says it all.
Let's go C.C.