Hurricanes and Catnaps Always Get Me Down
Way too early CT
- My roommate woke up. WTF. It was like quarter-to-seven in the a.m. in Central time.
I asked : "did you lose a shampooing bet?"
My roommate subscribes to the Warren Zevon philosophy of "I'll sleep when I'm dead." His exact words were: "I slept in college."
This may prove costly as the weekend progresses.8:00 a.m. CT
- Intelligence report. I couldn't go back to sleep after the early wake up (I'm bitter...more on that later). I read my 30+ bookmarks. I knew what I already knew. And I was awake.9:00 a.m. CT
- One cup of coffee.9:23 a.m. CT
- One more cup of coffee - thank you much, Bob Marley9:35 a.m. CT
- Three cups of coffee down. Found the one Jewish deli in San Antonio - Schilo's - and did up a little wheat toast and coffee (four cups down). They toast the toast right, and with a wide variety of jelly - not to mention the $1.56 tab - Schilo's is now the Official Breakfast Sponsor of TLBR.
They fill up the coffee, copiously, and have the Jayhawks on the speakers (the alt-country band, not Russell Robinson Jr.). Schilo's - welcome to the TLBR family of networks.10:00 a.m. CT
- There's a CVS on the Riverwalk. Today's Neighborhood Drugstore - actually, that's an old moniker and quite admittedly I should know whatever the new slogan is but I don't so let's all move on OK? This Consumer Value Store sold wine and U.S. Border Patrol hats.10:35 a.m. CT
- I really dig the Riverwalk. It's an amazing place and has beautiful horticulture. And, quite frankly, the sidewalk in spots gets really, really close to the water. Officer Ramirez of the San Antonio Park Police have said "very few people just fall in
"On average, maybe four people just fall in. Usually, it's people who get dared or drunk people. Even then, it's not many. It's not something I'd recommend."
I would tend to agree. I've never seen water that green.10:45 a.m. CT
- I'm watching ducklings learn to swim, and then hop onto a rock and get cleaned by Mother Duck. Ladies & Gentlemen, your TLBR Zen Moment of the Day,10:48 a.m. CT
- Sign of maturity. I just saw Jim Nantes of CBS eating breakfast. A few years back, I'd have bum rushed his omelette and asked him to record my "A tradition like no other..." voicemail message. I left him to his hash browns. Maturity or sobriety? You decide.11:15 a.m. CT
- TLBR to Pat O'Brien's barkeep: "When can you legally sell me a Hurricane?"
PO'B barkeep: "Now, actually..."
TLBR: "May I please have a Hurricane?"
It is noon Eastern...12:32 p.m. CT
- The second of what will likely prove to be many meals at Denny's - joining good friends David Scott of CSTV/Shots fame, the boys from CSTV's Road Trippin (Jacob & Cyrus), and one of my old Iona running mates TC.
Nelda the waitress was solid - if there were an award for top waitress so far this week, Nelda is the undisputed champ.12:45 p.m. CT
- First stupid phone call received of the day: a sports-radio talk show host looking for Jim Harrick's contact info.1:25 p.m. CT
- In the Alamodome, they have banners for every school that has won the national title, with the year. Kentucky has won so many that not all the years fit on one side of the banner. This particular banner only has up to 1996 listed, forgetting Tubby Smith's title in 1998. TC: "Just another case of them holding back the brothers."2:05 p.m. CT
- Took a photo with Toribio Lasoya. Might need to Google him later and find out who the shampoo he is/was.2:25 p.m CT
- At Crazy Sam's with the crew. Not only to they serve "Texas-sized drafts," but they have an extensive menu of "grub."
That's it. "Grub." And listed under said "grub" are the following: hot dogs, hot wings, fries and corn dogs.
More from TC: "I don't think I've been in a place that serves corn dogs on the menu...ever..."
Jacob uses the word "ostensibly," which is a TLBR fave. A man walks into the bar wearing a hat that says "Jerusalem." (no punchline coming...this is fact...) It even has a menorah stitched into the bill.
(period of time passes where nothing interesting happens, so, moving right along...)6:05 p.m. CT
- Just finished a large Mexican dinner - flautas and chili - and a Mexican trumpeteer approaches the table.
Mexican trumpeteer: Do you want a song?
DScott: Are you shampooing nuts?
End of Mexican trumpeteer.8:00 p.m. CT
- I retreat to the hotel for a quick nap. The early rise and Thursday hijinks, cleverely disguised as shenanigans, has made me sleepy. I just need a quick nap. I called the front desk for a 9:15 wake-up call. Just some quick shut-eye...a quick power nap to recharge...a quick...12:35 a.m. CT, April 4
- Quick my ass.
Wake-up call my ass.
My ass is tired. I'm rolling back over and going to sleep. You should do the same.
We'll chat tomorrow...